Campus Food Truck App

disclaimer: this is an in-class group project, so most work were done together as a group

Date: September 2029 – December 2019

Design Outcomes and Major Achievements

We ended up building a mid-fidelity(functional) prototype to help students on campus to order food from food trucks online and avoid long wait times. I have also created my own high-fidelity prototype on Adobe XD and will be demonstrated at the end of this page.

  • Interviewed 9 students, 1 diary studies, 64 respondent to the questionnaire
  • 3 rounds of user testings and modifications of the app layouts
  • Solved all the pain points mentioned by student participants initially
  • 4 presentations in class to illustrate the concept of our design and received good feedback
  • First time working with multi-disciplinary team and with UXD project

Existing Problems

Students at University of Toronto (U of T), St.George Campus love ordering food from food trucks. These food trucks spread out across the huge campus and vary in the type of food offered. However, there are many problems with the food trucks. They are not on the google map, so most students do not know their operating hours and locations (since food trucks are moving around all the time). Food trucks only accept cash which is inconvenient as most students do not carry cash these days. Also, there are always long lines in front of the food truck and students hate waiting for such a long time outside, especially in the winter time.

User Research

We have conducted questionnaire and interviews with current U of T students. The questionnaire has reached 63 students and we have done 9 interviews. We have found several pain points based on the user research. Most pain points are related to the issues of inconvenience, payments, menu, waiting time and food quality. As a team, we constructed a user persona based on the research in order to visualize the problems. Then, we created a user journey map without the food truck app and presented it with the class.

My Roles & Tools

My Roles: User researcher and Analyze/visualize data

Tools: Balsamiq, Whiteboard, Powerpoint, Adobe XD

Prototypes and Storyboard

We have then brainstormed on different features that we would like this app to have to solve current problems. As a team, we voted for the most feasible and impactful features and prioritized all the features into a prioritization grid. Based on the prioritization grid, we knew which features we should include in the app. Then, we created a paper prototype and tested it with a couple of students. Then, based on the feedback, we created a TO-BE scenario, where we imagined how the app would help the user to order food. Then, we created the clickable prototype.

needs statements
to-be scenario
paper prototype
mid-fidelity prototype

What I have learned?

  • This was my first-ever UXD design project in my life. It was such a unique and fun experience that let me fall in love in this field and decide to choose to study UXD further in the future. However, I do think I need to improve a lot of my skills.
    • Learning to use prototype/wireframe tools. This is my first time using Adobe XD, but I did not have time to master it. My design layout did not look aesthetically good because I did not know how to use Adobe XD to create nicer frames and interactions. I should focus on learning techniques and tricks to use XD.
    • My data/info visualization skill needs to be developed more. During the class project, mostly we used whiteboard and we wrote stuff. It was convenient as a group to brainstorm and record ideas but it was messy to show and tell the design process in the future. I think I should learn to use some digital tools (such as photoshop/miro) to digitalize all the diagrams and journey maps we have built.
  • I have learned to present the user story with a proper logic flow with the class. I have learned to advocate and articulate myself and convey information in a concise and accurate way.
  • I have learned to work as a team for the first time and learned to listen to others.
  • I have learned how to use Adobe XD, though my design was still naive.
  • I have learned to design consistently in order not to confuse users.